CROSSINGS MISSIONS MINISTRY

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

PERSPECTIVE - Nashville Mission Trip 2011

What is your reflex reaction when you see the panhandlers at major intersections in Oklahoma City? It is not uncommon for us to label the homeless and poor as victims of their own poor choices. We have diagnosed their problem (laziness, substance abuse) and prescribed a remedy (get a job) before ever taking the time to engage them in a simple conversation.

One of the lessons that we are all learning is that there are no "typical" homeless people. We have already met homeless families - yes, families - who just as hard working as you or I but who encounter a mountain of obstacles as they attempt to build a new life for themselves.

It's all about perspective.

Even though we know that it wrong to judge a person by their outward appearence, we still do it. We ignore the men and women who stand in the median with their cardboard signs because WE have already decided that they are to blame for their circumstances.

When the prophet Samuel went looking for the next king of Israel, he got a good look at all of Jesse's sons. Each one was a fine physical specimen but God did not choose any of them. Finally, a young and scrawny David was called in from the flocks and chosen to be king? Why? Because as God told Samuel: "Man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart."

To truly minister to the poor and needy we must look beyond their outward appearance. We must be oblivious to their unique aroma. We must see them as Jesus sees them: a beautiful person who was worth dying for.

It's no stretch to love those who are "like us" and who "like us." Jesus asks the question: "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to?" Another variation of that quote reads: "Love means loving the unlovable - or it is no virtue at all." As we experience having our hearts broken by the things that break the heart of God, we are gaining the courage and ability to love people right where they are...without judgement.

Our perspective is changing.

I want to share with you a poem written by Cathy Poole, a homeless poet.

I am homeless
I don't drink
I don't do drugs
And I don't steal

Because I am homeless
You want to hide me
Ship me to another town or state
If you can't see me
I'm no longer a problem

I have problems
They can be helped
As they hurt
They can and do hinder my path

Put me on the path to regain my life
I will not hurt you
I just want to talk to you

Please treat me the way you want to be treated
And I will do the same
I may be homeless
But I am not a bad person


Soli Deo gloria.

Michael
Sent from my iPhone

No comments: